ProvenanceThe first waterside workers' unions in Australia were formed in Port Adelaide, Sydney, and Sandridge (Port Melbourne) in 1872. Following the federation of unions in 1890 the Waterside Workers Federation established a national focused body in 1902. The Port Adelaide branch became affiliated with the Port Adelaide Working Men’s Association in the 1920s. The Waterside worker’s hall on Nile Street in Port Adelaide (now known as a venue for arts) is an example of the importance of the unions to the labourers of Port Adelaide with the federation hosting the hall with other union groups and activists.
This badge was probably manufactured in the early 20th century for members to wear.SignificanceAn example of union ephemera from the early 20th century associated with Port Adelaide.DescriptionRed background with cream shield on which letters in red ‘WWFPA’ [Waterside Workers Federation of Port Adelaide]. Attachment hook on back. Inscription on perimeter, 'Atkinson & Co. Makers, Adelaide'.Creator (person)Creator (organisation)Atkinson & Co. MakersAcknowledgementKeywordsbadgesmembership badgesunion badgesmaritimeDate of CreationDate of UsageMaterialTinplate
|Celluloid DimensionType: Total
Unit (Lengths): mm Accession NumberHT 1986.0766