ProvenanceThe Adelaide Ship Construction Co. was incorporated in 1957. It built powerful Hydroconic tugs for Australian waters. The Company was born of the Adelaide Steamship Company and occupied Fletcher's Slip, which it bought from the S. A. Harbors Board. The first tug was the WARILLA, launched in 1959. The site also carried out repairs, reconditioning and other works.
This coaster was collected for Austbuilt by Keith LeLeu, who began collecting maritime memorabilia in the 1960s and campaigning for a maritime museum and/or heritage park in the 1970s, during a time of great shipping decline in Port Adelaide. He founded an organisation called Austbuilt, from which many items in SAMM's collection are sourced.SignificancePiece of memorabilia collected by a significant figure in the preservation of maritime memorabilia in SA. Also an example of campaigning for a maritime museum in Port Adelaide.DescriptionCircular and flat drinks coaster made of absorbent card. Features blue print around the circumference, with a red, white and blue flag in the centre. It reads: 'Adelaide Ship Construction Limited, Birkenhead, S.A.'
The coaster is stamped, on the reverse, with two identifying images and one slogan:
SUPPORT A MARTIME PARK OR WATERFRONT MARITIME MUSEUM FOR PORT ADELAIDE.
PORT ADELAIDE MARITIME HISTORICAL SERVICESCreator (person)Creator (organisation)AcknowledgementKeywordscoastersDate of Creationc1957Date of UsageMaterialCard paper
|Inks Accession NumberHT 2007.0612